By Jane Jett, May 8th, 2018
Gentlemen and sex toys; why keep them on the DL (down low)? When a man mentions that he uses a sex toy to his friends, he is likely to be ridiculed rather than asked for a product recommendation. Perhaps this is because the image of male sex toys is the blowup doll, whereas the reality is that male sex toys are now as innovative and varied as toys for women. Let’s explore some facts and also encourage men to have open conversations with their male friends about the importance of owning a sex toy.
Here are some facts about men and their views about buying male sex toys:
- 51% of the men own a sex toy with cock rings being the most popular toy (30%) followed in popularity by Fleshlight, prostate massagers, penis pumps and stamina rings.
- 78% of the men said that they would consider buying a sex toy for solo use. 22% said “no way”.
- 70% suggested that they should be allowed to buy a male sex toy without embarrassment.
- 69% would be happy to let their partner use a male sex toy on them.
- 60% of the men who replied said they had use a female sex toy on their partner and enjoyed the experience.
Doctors who specialize in sexual dysfunction recommend sex toys as a vital part of erectile dysfunction treatment, including: penis pumps, constriction bands (cock rings), and vibrators for use on the penis. As well, customers just seeking to do something a little different in their sex lives. Men often buy a vibrator for their wives too – it means they can still share intimacy even if penetrative sex isn’t possible.
Men who use sex toys were more likely to participate in sexual health promoting behaviors such as testicular examination and male sexual health clinics. They also scored highly on satisfaction levels of erectile dysfunction, intercourse satisfaction, orgasmic function and sexual desire.
The benefits of orgasms are huge for both physical and mental wellbeing, and lowers the risk of developing prostate cancer by 22% (yes, 22%). So anything that adds or enables an orgasm can only be a good thing.
So gentlemen, the point is share your toy knowledge with your close friends. It should never be a dirty-little secrete that lives in your dresser drawer or in hidden corners of the infamous man caves. Sex is healthy, and guys can help improve sexual performance and satisfaction if they are more open to sharing the value toys and the resulting orgasms bring to our bodies.